Friday, November 27, 2009

BLACK FRIDAY!!! AAAAHHHH!!!!



(Sorry, you have to read through to the end to find out about the deal.)

Unlike most people, I was at work on Thanksgiving.

I know, I know ... sad. But hey, the news never sleeps, and neither do I! I guess I'm kind of used to it because I've done it for the last three Thanksgivings. The plus side is that I have always had Christmas day off. I don't think I could handle that.

And besides, the peeps at work put together a pretty decent turkey dinner! (I made an apple pie.) I still miss my mom's sweet potato casserole though....mmmm.....

So, today is BLACK FRIDAY. And everyone on Etsy (and the world) is talking about SPENDING!!! DEALS!!! DISCOUNTS!!! HURRY!!!!

It makes me a bit stressed out.

I like to think of Etsy as an oasis where people can pay a fair price for a HANDMADE product that someone put a lot of time and effort into (i.e. not "made in china!")

Sorry. That was my rant for now.

Anyway, I feel like the holidays are a time of love and giving ... so I want to give my customers some sort of deal --- but I want to call it a "customer appreciation sale."

SO---- the deal.

I will offer free shipping to the U.S. midnight EST Monday (the 30th)
I will offer $5 shipping to anywhere else in the world (flat rate) until midnight EST Monday (the 30th)

Thank you--
Love, Emily

4 comments:

Lynae said...

I totally understand your Black Friday feelings! There was a lot of pressure on Etsy this year to offer deals, so I ended up putting together a deal where people who buy from my shop this weekend can get free gift certificates that are good for next year. I figure that's a win-win situation since it'll encourage people to return to my shop after the holidays are over.

I especially am really disappointed at all the emphasis that Etsy's admin seem to place on free shipping. For those of us that don't just sell earrings and cards and other lightweight things, offering free shipping could require us to raise all our prices to compensate, or just take a loss. And that's totally not fair!

Lynae said...

Er--just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to say anything bad about your free shipping deal! I hope it gets you lots of sales!

chanina said...

I hate holiday gifts, it seems to me like a bad reason to spend-spend-spend.
I feel with all the sales (as with etsy's) it just encourages some to put out money when they're not 100% sure of what they want. but we're programed to work like that...I'm not sure I'll just buy because of the discount.
Whatever.
Emily, I LOVE you work, I'm waiting for another extra special something to catch my eye and then I'll make the purchase...
Happy holidays!

whichgoose said...

Amen ladies!!! :) :)