Saturday, May 30, 2009

just a little rant about coupons


I am the sucker that coupons were invented for. I will (inevitably) forget them, lose them, or try to use them before they're valid or after they've expired.

I don't know why I even try anymore. It never works out. And then, on the rare occasion where I remember and have a valid coupon, the item is already on sale or some other silly rule like that. 

And it's not even that big of a deal. I would end up saving MAYBE 3 or 4 dollars in the end.... But I just always end up feeling like they FORCED me to come in there (with the lure of the coupon money-savings) and then BAM! ---I am spending money!

I used to work at a retail location. It was a Borders book shop. Their big thing was coupons that you print out and bring in for some sort of deal or percent off. 

I encountered all sorts of coupon faux pas:

"I don't have a printer." or " I lost the coupon."
"I want to return this item and buy it with the coupon."
"I want to use these two Xeroxed coupons on these two books."
or
"My 2-year-old is buying this other book with this Xeroxed coupon."

etc., etc., etc. 

I like to think that I am a good consumer because of these experiences. I don't like to hassle the retail worker. I've seen this same phenomenon with past-waiters/waitresses...they always give good tips.

But, come on ... it' not like the store will go out of business if you just give me the $3 discount....

Thanks for listening to my vent!!

Vacation's almost hhheeeeerrrreee!!! :) :) 

1 comment:

Amber said...

So this is kind of random to leave a comment on an older blog post, but it made laugh really hard...

Yesterday I wanted to go to Joann's Fabrics. I was SO pleased with myself because I a) had a coupon and b) knew where it was. It was getting kind of late (for a Sunday) so I needed to confirm that the store would still be open.

"I bet it's on the coupon" I thought, pulling it out to check.

Front side said "See back for hours."

Back side said "See website for hours."

Website said "We are improving our website and look forward to seeing you soon."

Kind of like that old joke, "how do you keep an idiot busy (turn paper over)"...

and no, the coupon wouldn't work for my items when I got there!