Saturday, September 6, 2008

history in a box

Some of you may know about my slight obsession with genealogy. I've never done research or anything like that. It's more photos and knic knacs.....A tube of lipstick I took from my Nana's bathroom... a crochet needle from Grandma ...pictures of my Grandfather in his Army uniform .... Papa's favorite biscuits.

And this brings me to my newest project: Recipes.

My mom has this great old box full of handwritten recipes, most from her mom (Nana). I decided I need one, too. So I'm transferring over my notebook full of clippings and Internet print-outs onto handwritten cards.

I made this green box and bought bunch of index cards....let the hand cramping begin!

And, as a special treat, I am pleased to present: Nana's Saltine Candy!

Ingredients:
35 saltine crackers
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
12 oz. semi-sweet choc. chips
1 c. chopped pecans

Line a pan with crackers. 

In microwave, heat butter and brown sugar 4 minutes, stirring after 2.
Pour evenly over crackers.

Bake 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Spread immediately with choc. chips (use spoon or spatula to spread) and top with nuts.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Break up and serve!

3 comments:

hy said...

mmmm... sounds good! i love sweet and salty..
i do not really bake very often, but that sounds simple enough for me to try it!
xo
mary jane

Anonymous said...

I've had that stuff before and it's quite delicious! :)

My mother also has a well worn box of recipes written by herself and other women in my family which I love to look through on trips home. :)

idyll hands said...

Great idea! I started to put all of my recipes onto cards in a box (even if I just cut them out and glued them on a card) but I lost track of that a few years ago. I need to get back on it so my future kids can fight over the box when I'm gone.